Monday, October 26, 2015

The Time and Place...

The following is a direct response to what was written here...

http://www.nicolavincent-abnett.com/2015/10/fifty-shades-of-grey-response.html

Oh yay, big fat capital letter Y yays all around..!
Self publishing has it's place and I don't think it's a bad one.
It's just different to what we're used to and I think being able to adapt, especially as a writer, well it's fairly important.
I used to laugh at my old man when he told me that vinyl records produce better sound than my silly cassette tapes.
I responded with, well yeah but can your media switch songs in an instant by hitting the "flip sides" button?  Can it fast forward for you to the next song if you'd like to skip one?
(To which my dad would argue that yes, he could switch songs by merely raising his needle and adjusting it and if I had to push a button, who was really winning this argument anyway..?)
Years later when CDs came out, I had the same argument and I think my dad finally gave up on his records.
Nowadays, there are no cassette tapes or CDs or vinyl (unless you're a collector and you like physical media)...
Nowadays it's all digital and at the click of a mouse or a swipe on the device.

Meaning, if books go the same way, there will be no paper sheets bound together by glue and thread, there will be no giant "publishing houses" with their rules and profit percentages.
Their businesses are dying like the dinosaurs as more and more people adapt to the technologies available.

I would like to offer one piece of advice Nik and I'm reminding myself that when I offer advice, it should be as a compliment, like I care enough to share right.
I also remind myself that it shouldn't hurt me, if the advice is not taken (or even listened to).  You're a famous writer and I am a little unheard of guy.
But again, I care so...

Throw the book up on a separate web site.  Don't bury your blog with ninety thousand words of fiction, give it it's own space know what I mean.
If you're not all about the money (yays again), it doesn't need ad space, it doesn't need a view counter, it's a free book, that's all...
Dump it all as one big kerploop (I'm all for page breaks and chapter breaks, you know...)
But what's the point of having to upload "some" twice a week..?
Why not give the people the whole thing in the beginning?

It allows people to read as much or as little at their own pace, it doesn't require them to "check back" or, if they miss a week or two, they don't have to go diggin' through the posts to find where they were...
It's easier on you having to do one (or two) days of work instead of "lots" and it allows you to "move on" and work on other, fresher things, instead of dragging this anchor behind you.
I'm not insulting you or implying that Kat is a dead weight, I'm sure it's awesome and I'll be one of the first to read it (and offer feedback).
But to stretch out "the launch", I don't see much point in it honestly.

Mabes if you were to get people all interested and withhold the last two chapters unless they drop ten pounds (dollars), okay then I see your point (also, please don't do this).
But you want Kat to stand alone, here's the link right.  You don't want to have to tell people someday, that they have to search through a blog site filled with other stuff and that they have to gather all the separate pieces and assemble them like a kid with an Easter basket looking for eggs in the forest.

Also, and mabes here's the noob in me showin'...
I've tried something similar and found that I didn't really like the layout of the blog site, add-a-chapter-here style.
What happens is that the first chapter ends up getting posted first, then it becomes the last page on the site followed by all the rest of the chapters.  When a new person comes along mid story, they have to go all the way to the back and start there, then work their way backwards to where everybody else is currently.
It becomes quite a pain as both a reader and a writer (in my opinion and hey, if you know how to fix this, please send me a message..!)

Again, here's my applause (clapping sound from the west), I support you and look forward to reading, Kat and everything else.
I'll include a link to one of my other blogs that I started a year or so ago, it's very much a short story I wrote and I self published, and "left it there" you know, do share some thoughts if you have them.

http://movieofallmovies.blogspot.com/

Also NOTE!  There are little red words at the bottom of each page, one says "Next" and that's how you have to proceed through the story.  I tried for a while to make the word bigger, more stand outty but couldn't figure it out so, some people are like hey, that's a pretty short story you got there Bishop, one whole page..?
And I have to say oh, hey now, there's actually six or seven pages if you can find the Next button...
Happy Mondays people!

No comments:

Post a Comment