Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Movie without Sugar...

The following is a direct response to what was written here...

http://www.nicolavincent-abnett.com/2015/12/mad-max-fury-road-some-thoughts.html

Yeah, I can admit it, I'm not very good at watching movies when they first come out.  I'm not good at "keeping up" and such...
I probs have thirty million excuses, all of them completely valid and not at all fabricated...
So I haven't watched the new Mad Max yet, I remember putting it on my list and...  well, there it sits, still on the list eh.
So I can't say too much about a movie I haven't seen yet, I do like that my writing hero Nik wrote what she thought about it, and as usual, I have some thoughts that could echo some of her stuff.
Let's see...

I think the movies that we watch nowadays, can safely be put into two "categories", the "big budget", big actors, lots of fireworks and effects.  And the "small budgets", the little actors, mabes no fireworks.
And what makes 'em "big", at least to me, is their advertising budgets, as in, the big, expensive movies have many more trailers and promotionals than the smalls.
When my kids see the Mad Max trailer twice a day for seven weeks straight, it makes them want to watch it right.  If they never see a trailer for a small, well how can they want to watch something if they don't know what it is?

I sorta relate it to being strapped into a high chair, remember those?  When you were little, your parents or mother (or caretaker) might have had to prop you up and spoon feed your mush into your mouth (boy what funny humans we all are...)
Because we were too young to provide our own nourishments.
So sometimes, when we were young, we didn't want to eat the bland mush, we'd turn our heads or refuse to open our mouths.  But if our feeder sprinkled a little sugar on top of that spoonfull, ah, mouths open wide.
But the trick doesn't seem to last, as most tricks don't...
After a bit, the amount of sugar better increase or, if the taste of the mush gets any worse, two sprinkles might be required or further head turns will result.

So our movie makers are not stupid, they've been doing this for a while now and if they were stupid, well they'd probs realize it at some point and stop trying to make movies.
They know how to sprinkle the sugars just right and it shouldn't be any surprise that we still want that sugar huh.
If a movie maker wants to make a movie for men, they insert a few sexy looking women in scantily clad outfits.  If they aren't sexy enough, more women might just do the trick, mabes throw in a couple with different hair styles or colors, mabes throw in some from different backgrounds or nationalities.
If the movie makers want to make something that women will open their mouths for, they insert Bradley Cooper and make the movie about food and cooking.
It's a pretty easy recipe to follow and you get better with practice.

My strange and wandering point is, we can't blame people for making movies and we can't blame others for opening their mouths if the sugars are just right.
Should we stop eating sugars?  Try to convince others that movie watching is bad for us?
The sad truth is that some people never grow up, they never figure out the straps and buckles that hold them to their high chairs.  And others will exploit these people, usually just for their money (and I can't really blame them).
So yes, the general public is pretty stupid huh, they are humans...

But to say that you'd like more feminist themes in your movies, well okay, I can't tell you no, right.
What's required is that you escape your restraints, climb downward carefully, hide from the spoon feeders and when they're not looking, you sneak into the kitchen, climb to the highest cupboard and find an old, dirty carrot.
Then you cram that carrot (after washing) into your mouth without sugars.  You chomp and swallow and in the end, you're left with a really positive, healthy feeling because not only are you no longer eating the sugars, but you're exercising, you're climbing counters and being perceptive, waiting for the right time to sneak that carrot.
You're growing and learning and making better decisions than you once did.

Because those carrots are out there, they're always in the darkest corners, waiting for you to pick them up and brush them off.
But they'll always be behind the sugared mush and it will take some feats of resistance to acquire them.
Before you wonder why there's no real healthy themes to your movies, ask yourself how hard you worked to find your movie.
If the answer is, not very hard at all, you can expect that your sugar flavored mush will not provide much mental or spiritual sustenance.

I also have to admit, that I didn't know what the word "suffrage" meant until I noticed a movie named after it.  After digging up a carrot or two, I learned that it's a movie about some events from way back in Nineteen-twelve, about women who were fighting for their right to vote.
A third carrot even gave me the setting of the movie, England.  Interesting.
It says it had a budget of fourteen million, okay, let's compare that with the Max at, one hundred and fifty million (what is that, about ten times more.!?)
"Suffragette" (IMDB link:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3077214/ ) had no trailers that I ever saw, no one held that spoon to my mouth, not even once.
Looking at the cast list, I can see none that I recognize (oh wait, that Helena Bonham Carter chic, I think I know her from, somewhere...)
Whereas without looking it up, I can recall the beautiful Charlize Theron is in the Max, how could a male with a pulse forget her, she was the chic from Hancock and The Burning Plain and yeps, I'll take her without the sugar any day right (she was also the queen in the Snow White and the Huntsman and if you're a male and didn't see the milk bath scene, look that thing up right now, those are some yummy mushes right there.)

If you want to complain that the movie you digested is not so good for you, not so good for others, our children, the future of the human race, well okay, I'll listen and agree.
But remember who opened their mouth in the first place, and who pushed play on their remote.

(No offense from me ever Nik, I love your writing and I think the world needs more of it, smiles from the west huh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment